Kodi's Response to Internet Issues
Team Kodi would like to wish you all good health and security during this difficult time for the world.
With almost everyone working and schooling from home now, the internet and world wide web are under severe strain for bandwidth and data volume. Many streaming services such as Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime have reduced their streaming resolution to help ensure there is enough connection speed for everyone who needs it.
In line with this, from today Team Kodi will also be doing our part. The following measures will be put into place with immediate effect:
- Playback will only be available at standard definition and low colour depth to save bandwidth.
- We reserve the right to implement 1 channel audio and 4 bit monochrome video with AI based dithering shaders to recolour the content should the ongoing situation require it.
- Streaming addons and IPTV may limit access to meet local/regional curfew restrictions.
- Kodi will only function on home networks, and will no longer operate through free public wifi.
- The Kodi database will be scrubbed overnight every night to ensure it remains clean.
- We will only support 60" or larger displays to implement social distancing requirements and prevent people grouping around small devices.
Kodi updates with these changes are being pushed via our normal download locations; our website, Windows App store, Google Play store. We hope for your support in taking these actions, and that they will not interrupt your viewing and listening pleasure.
Remember: stay home, watch stuff and save lives!